Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Names

I have a lifelong fascination with names, I always watch movies all the way through the credits to name watch. I collect examples of names good, bad and just plain awful, my daughters share my obsession and cannot wait to tell me of the latest atrocity. Laura was a great source when she was teaching here and Marni has supplied me with some doozies, more have come from our files at work, we have 70,000 members so great opportunities to find some bad ones. I have a ranking system in order of ickyness, here are some with actual factual examples, I couldn't make these up I promise!



  • Normal name spelled eewneekly on purpose to be diff'ren'T
Jaymz, Steffanee, Dunkin, Genefor, Jewd, Mattu (pron. Matthew), Rakkael, Feenix



  • Matching or rhyming or theme names for siblings or even worse, multiples
twins named Mark and Marcus

sisters named Shakaya and Shakoda their cousin is Shakylah and their aunt is Shakira



  • Odd names for siblings

brothers named Maverick and Brumby


sisters named Cameron, Ripley and Ziggy


  • Names that sound awful with the last name or create a bad set of initals

Drew, surname Peacock (say it fast)

Mrs V D Hoare

Chastity Bell



  • weird names, often from a movie or celebrity

Elvis Valentino

Trinity


  • Bland or boring names because the parents couldn't be bothered.

Ben Jones and his sister Sarah Jones (my cousins), John
(so named because he was born on his uncle Johns birthday and "we couldn't think of anything else")



Bassett, because he was named after his father!! Yup lets just pass on the misery...





I have many more but these are my worst of the bad names I have come across... let me know if you have any I can add to my lists!

3 comments:

Kirsty said...

LOL I certainly came across a few while teaching!!!

Chy-n (Cheyenne)
Rutchill (Rachelle)
Dakota (Chy-n's bro)

And all those names that are spelled phonetically...just to look pretty. UGH!

Jacki said...

oh my those are very ummm special!

kiwikate said...

So I got to your blog through Matt and Maddy's (about the walk) and scanned back through your posts out of nosey-ness.
I live in New Zealand, and there was a big uproar about names here a little while ago, it came out that there is a 9 year old girl here, whos name is "Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii". Yip, thats her name and middle names... She was taken out of her parents care because it was deemed too cruel!
Heres a quote from an ariticle over here with some more good ones!
"Fish and Chips (twins), Masport and Mower (twins); boys Yeah Detroit, Spiral Cicada, Kaos, Stallion and Hitler; girls Cinderella Beauty Blossom and Twisty Poi; and sex unknown Keenan Got Lucky and Sex Fruit."
Hope you enjoy...